William Edgar McCulloh
Elder William E. McCulloh, son of Amos and Hannah McCulloh, was born near Fort Louden, Franklin County, Pa., October 18, 1866, and passed away on May 26, 1938, while returning home from a visit to the family physician at Harrisburg, at the age of 71 years, 7 months and 8 days.
He spent his boyhood in Pennsylvania, but as a young man of eighteen years, feeling the call of -the West, he went to Illinois. He lived in the vicinity of Morrison most of his life, but moved back to Dillsburg, Pa., in 1936, to be near his children, most of whom, after attending Messiah Bible College made their homes in Pennsylvania.
As a boy at Fort Louden, he accepted Christ as his Saviour. After going to Illinois, he became acquainted with the people of the Brethren in Christ Church. He was attracted to them because of their plain, simple life and their emphasis upon a vital Christian experience.
In 1890, he became a member of the Franklin Corners Congregation. He was always vitally concerned about the spiritual welfare of the Church.
For many years he was a member of the Beneficiary Board and had charge of the Brethren’s Fire Aid in the State of Illinois. He loved to meet with the brethren at Conference and attended whenever possible. On the day of his death, he expressed the hope that he might obtain better health so that he might yet be able to do something for the Lord.
In 1900, he and Sr. McCulloh helped to establish the Mt. Carmel Orphanage and kept children in their home during the first year. He was a member of the Board until his death and for many years served as chairman.
In 1915, he was ordained to the ministry by Bish. J. R. Zook. However, before his ordination, he sought out needy communities and helped to establish Sunday Schools in school houses or wherever there was opportunity.
He was a farmer by occupation and made dairy farming a specialty. He became interested in Holstein cattle and pioneered in introducing them in his section of the State of Illinois. As a renter, he was very conscientious. He took farming seriously and felt it his responsibility to help in the conservation of our natural resources by building up the soil and in the prevention of erosion.
Although he farmed to make a living, he did not let it interfere with his responsibilities as a Christian father. He often took a considerable amount of time in family worship to give instruction in the Bible and the things of God. His home was open to strangers and wayfarers, always feeling that it might be an opportunity to speak a word for Jesus.
He believed in the purpose of Messiah Bible College from its beginning and ten of his children have been enrolled in courses in the school.
In 1887, he was married to Mary Sweigart, who passed away in 1892. To this union were born four children, one of whom is living, three having died in infancy. On December 4, 1894, he was married to Maria Longanecker. Thirteen children were born to this union, ten of whom are living, three having passed away in early childhood. He is survived by his wife; four sons: Archie of Morrison, Illinois, son of his first wife; Paul, at home; Ezra of Wichita, Kans.; and Charles of Manheim, Pa.; seven daughters: Mrs. Guy Van Dyke of Dillsburg, Pa.; Mrs. Samuel Keefer of Dillsburg, Pa.; Mrs. Paul McBeth of Nappanee, Ind.; Mrs. Lester Keefer of Dillsburg, Pa.; Mrs. Leroy Yoder of Manheim, Pa.; Mrs. Daniel Keefer of Dillsburg, Pa.; and Eunice, at home; fifteen grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Laura Belle Tarner of Clinton, Iowa.
It was the request of the departed that no money should be expended for flowers on his funeral occasion. It was his wish, instead, that the money be used to help in the work of foreign missions. Those desiring to do so, placed their contribution in the offering plates at the rear of the chapel.
Funeral service was held in the Messiah Bible College Chapel, in charge of Bish. C. N. Hostetter, Jr., assisted by Elders E. H. Hess, A. W. Climenhaga and Bish. M. G. Engle.
Interment in the Cross Roads Cemetery, Florin, Pa.